Friday, June 21, 2013

Springing Back with Cilantro Beet Tacos

Thanks for the hiatus, this blogger needed it. I started a new gig last summer and have a lot more screen time than I'd like so the blog was put on the back burner to simmer. Thankfully my sister helped out and added a few posts during the lull. I may have taken a hiatus from blogging but I never stopped taking food photos. It's such an ingrained habit now to whip out the camera before I pick up a fork. I haven't been cooking as much this year- Dave's stepped up in that world. 

I'm still also a gluten-free ambassador. I met more people these days from my past, present and even in the aisles of the local grocer who have started on their own GF journey for a number of reasons. I'm happy to give advice and share information. I remember how hard this all seemed back in 2008 when I first cut wheat (and eventually gluten) out of my life. 
I've made some other changes too over the last year. I'm a nut about not getting a plastic shopping bag from any store. I even carry these in the grocery to avoid bags for fruits and veggies. I don't use lotion anymore and now use oil to moisturize my skin like grapeseed or coconut as a lot of commercial lotions contain chemicals. I've become obsessed with Lush shampoo bars partly for the lack of packaging (again no bag for me) but also because I love the way they make my hair feel. 
I still have my vices and even some new ones... I've discovered some new convenience food and even "fast food", Instagram and still have a wicked sweet tooth. Chaos and Mayhem still compete with knitting for my free time but we overall have a good balance. 
I had a great refresher on label reading and the worst glutening of my gluten free life because I grabbed the wrong bag for my convenience food vice. 

The two bags look similar but have some key difference... the biggest being the big swatch of blue on the Gluten Free bag. Somehow I managed to grab the gluten filled bag from the freezer section at the store, bring them home and eat them. I had a bad week and didn't put it together until the next time the bag came out of the freezer for a slacker dinner... Dave saw the bag and realized what had happened. It was almost a relief to have a reason for a week filled with mood swings, irritability, joint pain, bloating and blahness. I've grown more cautious as a result. That mistake put a lot of stress on my body and it was affirmation on how much the gluten free diet has changed me. 
One of my favorite fresh meals has been this Cilantro Beet Taco. It's been great for the heat waves that have hit the East Coast in between the rainy days. Simple- easy and fully adaptable for summer grilling. 
Cilantro Beet Tacos
Dice beets in 1/4" chunks- place in foil packet with light drizzle of EVOO and a dash of sea salt
Close foil packet so it will create a steamy environment and place on a hot grill on a medium/high temperature for 20-25 minutes or until beets are tender.
Meanwhile... dice up red onion and cilantro (desired amounts) 
Fry soft tacos in a tablespoon of oil on both sides so the taco still bends but has some crisp. This should be on low/medium heat for a minute or so for each side. 
Fill Tacos as desired and garnish with Cilantro and onions. 
Enjoy!  
I've also gone for basil in the absence of cilantro from our herb window. And yes, I had to ask Dave to refresh me on a few of the steps as he has been head grill master for our summer beet grilling this summer. 

No comments: