Sunday, September 27, 2009

gf road trips

Traveling gluten free is still a learning process for me... I'm not quiet sure how to ask for gluten free without seeming crazy or worse not paying enough attention and having to hide my reaction to not spoil everyone's night. This is why I love GF menus... I feel like these folks have a reputation to protect and will ensure a good meal.

Last week we took a "quick" trip up to Denver (7 hours away) to visit friends and see Jason Mraz at Red Rocks.  Our friends live in Summit County and Megs had been watching the paper for some gf options. No photos to show (which proves how good it was) but we had a great breakfast at Kula's Cafe in Dillon. (Can't find a website but check them out at 119 La Bonte St Suite 208 Dillion, CO 970.513.8336... they take call in's too if you happen to be traveling on I-70) These guys rock! It may have been my excitement for my first french toast order in almost a year but this place was good! The staff was very attentive and even highlighted the GF order. I went back in to get a hot chocolate later and made sure to thank them for the attention... turns out 2 of the staff had wheat/gluten issues and understood what it meant to the gf world to take good care of people.


We also hit PF Chang's.... the 15th Street Dever location had the Gluten Free Menu on the back of the normal menu. I loved the fact that each time they brought something to our table they would say "and this is your gluten free street noodles" or "Here is your gluten free soy sauce." I had a reaction in nameless establishment and this made me feel so safe. I would have hated to have a reaction after driving for 7 hours to hit a concert. I complimented our server who then told us that this location actually used different shapped plates to help the process along. Does every location do this? Keep in mind that Telluride is 7 hours from the closest location so I really have no idea!



We hit Red Rocks for the Jason Mraz show before traveling home through the night back to Telluride. After work the next day we hit the Telluride Blues & Brews Festival for the Taj Mahal show. I'm still getting used to hitting all these festivals with no hope for gluten free beer... I had a glass of wine which just isn't the same.  Taj played under a pretty blue sky.... then when Bonnie Raitt  came on the sky opened up and town park was hit with sideways rain and downpour. After 3 years here in Telluride we've adapted well to the changing festival weather and pack down jackets and hats along with our trusty kelty sunshade... although this summer I've been calling it our rainshade!


I would love to see a gluten free beer festival in Telluride Town Park. All Gluten Free Food vendors... that's another thing I had to give up at Telluride Town Park festivals- food. There is sooo little that is safe for me to eat that I often pack food or eat ice cream (until my reccent dairy revolt!)

I used to eat my daily dose of dumplings from the Two Sisters Pantry but the dumplings and soy sauce would kill any festival fun...I'll stick to my gf telluride festival daydreams. It's a lot easier to smile through the mud and rain when I am not reacting... plus the rainshade could become realy small with 7 other people and a gluten-kate!

No comments: