Friday, August 7, 2009

Gluten free farmers market cake

Sent from my Verizon Wireless crackBerry
My favorite booth at the farmer's market is not the artisan cheese or the organic veggies but Cinda's baked goodies. She makes normal goodies then she has a special selection of gluten free goodies. I had her cupcakes the first week, then a peanut butter cookie and now I have fallen in love with her chocolate cake.
Not long after quitting wheat I went to the local chocolate shop. Patty told me to go see Cinda a the Window at Chair 7. I didn't and am now regretting not checking this out before. Cinda bakes lovely goodies and the best part is I can have "just one" and not have to slave over a batch of cupcakes. Her frosting is a whipped delight as well. I saw my friend today while carrying my gluten free cake... she tasted it and was amazed. I love this response from gluten eating friends. It affirms that my taste buds can still be trusted. Cinda beats Betty Crocker any day as it's all from scratch. (However I LOVE that Betty has brought the gluten free "issue" mainstream.)

I have to admit that I glutened myself a few weeks ago. I had a moment of weakness while at an outdoor movie and had waffle fries from what I know is a very contaminated fryer. The cheesy waffle fries tasted soooo good and were warm on a cool night but within minutes my gut reacted. This was the first time that I "cheated" on purpose and it reaffirmed my need to eat wheat free and aim for gluten free. I paid dearly for those fries and was in a fog the whole next day.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Over the last year, I've "cheated" a couple times, and have always regretted it...for the most part. I did have a toasted bagel once that tasted sooo good I thought it would be worth the aftermath. It was heavenly while I was eating it...but afterwards...
I applaud all the "little folks" who are making gluten-free products. I just found a local bakery, Wheatberries, that bakes gluten-free bread every Wednesday...it's so much better than store-bought products.

Unknown said...

i think i may be having some dairy issues too. I'm going to eliminate for a bit then just do small doses... arugh! I had cheese yesterday and have been "foggy" all day... I didn't even make it to the farmer's market to see Cinda's Gluten Free Goodies today!
I think eventually I may get a breadmaker and try to to make my own GF bread. It's just hard at 9,000 feet! :o) looks like a simple diet for the next week for me!