Saturday, March 26, 2011

rockin' Udi's and New Planet with a bit of Telluride style


It hasn't been nearly as snowy as I'd like this winter and lately my minds been wandering to other endeavors beyond skiing. Last weekend we loaded the dogs, friends and gear in the 4Runner and headed a mere 30 minute drive away to a whole different climate without snow and hit the wall. It's a nice drive and as soon as the car hits the dirt road the dogs know- we're going to go have fun. This day will be good for them. A few more miles and a couple of big turns later we park and throw packs on all of us, dogs included and go for a short steep hike to the wall in Clay Creek that was named after Austin Powers.

mayhem
 I had a few good climbs until my office bound paws screamed at me and then a nice hike/scramble with the golden boys while the human boys climbed more. The ending of our outing was perfection.... Udi's Bagel for a post climbing lunch and a New Planet Off Grid to celebrate our early induction to spring.  
chaos considers knocking over my new planet for himself...
 This weekend winter is back and a fresh blanket of snow covers Telluride and our wall. Thankfully Udi's and New Planet still complement skiing as well as they do climbing.

We didn't have our post climbing libations on ice so my first taste of Off Grid wasn't the best. I haven't had time this week to stage a tasting off between my beloved Tread Lightly and Off Grid. My first impression was that I was drinking Anadama bread. Anadama is a bread made with cornmeal and molasses which I loved in my gluten days. I've got a recipe to try a GF version but I've been scared to test it out at 9,000 feet. Perhaps in the next few weeks as we sink into a quieter season here in Telluride...

2 comments:

Marlow said...

Which New Planet is your favorite?

Unknown said...

I finally did a side-by-side comparison this week.... Tread Lightly was my winner and my go-to for sure.