Sunday, October 25, 2009

cookbooks and pumpkins

Somehow these last few weeks have been spent browsing new GF cook books. I ordered Make It Fast, Cook It Slow and Artisanal Gluten Free Cooking, Dave went back east for the weekend and brought me home The Gluten Free Gourmet Makes Desert and I checked out 1,000 Gluten Free Recipes from my local library.

I worked 11 days straight and started a ski conditioning class two night a week so didn't find much time to cook. Dave's also been reading the books and we've got some great one's pick out. Today we made Barbeque Pulled Pork in the slow cooker. I have to say that my favorite part about Stephanie's recipes is that we have almost EVERYTHING already on hand. The pork came out perfect and was the hearty meal Dave needed before going out to make snow. (it was so good that we didn't take photos)

Dave has really enjoyed the recipes in Peter and Kelli's Artisanal book and we're looking forward to playing with some of these later in the week. They also have a neat flour blend that I may try since it's almost time to make up a new batch of featherlight. I really have enjoyed reading their blog and was excited to order the book.

We had a friend stay over last night (also named Dave) and I made the Dave's my gluten free crepes this morning while they watched ski movies to celebrate the 4 inches of fresh snow. These crepes are sooo yummy and a great way to eat peanut butter and jelly again. I made a double batch today so that I could have some before work tomorrow. It should help me ease into the work week!

GF Crepes from 1,000 Gluten Free Recipes
2/3 C Featherlight Flour Blend
1 T sugar
1/4 t xanthan gum
1/8 t salt
1 C milk (I used Silk Vanilla Soy)
2 large eggs
1 t vanilla
Add all of the above to a blender putting liquids on bottom (this is my blender theory- I think it works better this way) Blend until smooth.
Heat your favorite pan with 1-2 tablespoons oil. I then wipe the pan out and set the paper towel aside.
Pour 1/4 cup into hot pan (water drops should dance) and spread out until thin and even. I just did a pan swirl.
Let cook until bottom is lightly browned. (I live at 9,000 feet and this takes me longer then everyone else!) Flip and cook until other side is lightly browned. Place crepe on wax paper. Add another piece of wax paper between each crepe so they don't stick. The wax paper also works well to reheat with. Take your oily paper towel and swipe in bottom of pan before pouring more batter and repeating cooking process.
I'm also trying to use less dairy (butter) and topped my crepes with a cinnamon & sugar blend or confectioners sugar or my favorite peanut butter and jelly. This last one I would do while it was almost done and still in the pan so the peanut butter melted a bit. Since Dave still eats sandwiches we have a no double dipping policy (with the exception of the crunchy since I don't eat that) to keep all jars safe from crumbs.

We also hit a pumpkin carving party this weekend. I'm very lucky to have friends who ask questions and make things safely. Cheers to Jim for making a separate chili with a Green's Discovery Gluten Free Beer, Elaine for thinking of rice crackers and to Jess and Jared for making these GF cupcakes! I made a GF apple crisp and appletinis and was a very happy camper.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the crepe recipe...I know what I'm having for breakfast Saturday morning!