Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Garbanzo Bean, Bacon & Arugula Salad

From think outside the breadbox

I've been swamped at work and came up with this creation to help me survive the week as a quick meal with a lot of protein. I brough a cold home from my Denver trip- I'm not sure how I caught that with the 90 degree weather I was in.

It kicked my butt and knocked me off my morning routine with the dogs. I'm recovering and trying to regain some equanimity with food and sleep so I can get back to playing with the monsters before the crazy work day. I've also put my Liz Lovely cookie collection in the freezer so I can slowly enjoy the goodness from the East Coast.

2 cans (15oz) of Garbanzo beans, drained
cook:
6 slices Bacon until almost done
then chop into small pieces, finish in pan and add 2 tablespoons maple syrup at the end and caramelize, set aside and let cool.
Mix:
3 Tablespoons EVOO
1 Tablespoon Sugar
2 Cloves Minced Garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper
Juice of one lemon (more or less to taste- I really enjoy the lemon)
Whisk well then dice and add 1/3 medium onion
Combine with Garbanzo beans and Bacon. Store in the fridge, oil will congeal a bit, this is normal.

This has a lot of potential and the next version may include quinoa, corn or cucumbers... we'll see what kind of mood I'm in!

Serve with fresh arugula and know that you're surviving a busy time and eating well and that maybe tomorrow you can get out of bed earlier and go play...

1 comment:

Marlow said...

This looks really really good!!