Monday, December 1, 2008

day three brings good things...

day three is where I start to feel good again after wheat. My energy levels increase and my mood is lighter. When I did my wheat free trial I recall that day three was about the time the fuzziness and fog that clouds my brain begin to lift. I start to feel happier and more aware. I'm still a bit sad that my last bit of wheat was a simple hot dog bun... had I been able to pick I would have gone for Anadama Bread from D'Ellies back at Sugarloaf. I've tried to make the bread since moving to Colorado but haven't been close.

It's phenomenal that one little thing can make a person feel this way.

Thanks to a suggestion from Lindsey, I hit the library today. For a town with 2,000 year round people we have an amazing library. While I didn't see the books Lindsey recommend I did manage to find a handful of books on wheat free/gluten free cooking. I picked them up for chef Dave to go through for some ideas. This is also the place where I stumbled on Gluten Free Girl and read the book by chance long before I even dreamed that I would have a food allergy.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Just thought you might want a good recipe to get you started. I don't know about you, but pancakes and waffles are some of my favorite things to have for dinner, so here's a good recipe for waffles.
First off, you need to make a wheat-free (and gluten-free) flour by combining a few different types of flour. This mixture is called "Featherlight Flour Mix." It can be substituted cup for cup for regular wheat flour in most recipes. Here's the recipe:
3c. rice flour
3c. tapioca flour
3c. cornstarch
3 Tbsp. potato flour

Now for the waffle recipe:
2c. Featherlight flour
1/2 tsp. xantham gum
1/2 tsp. salt
3 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2c. milk
2 eggs
4 Tbsp. butter, melted & cooled

Combine first 4 ingredients. Mix together milk and eggs, and stir in butter. Stir egg mixture into flour mixture. (This makes 4-6 waffles, depending on the size of your waffle iron. Leftovers can be frozen.)

Hope this is something that sounds appetizing to you. Greg & I love them. You'll never know they don't have wheat or gluten!