Friday, June 11, 2010

Chocolate Whoopie Pies

Now that's I've dialed in the Strawberry Whoopie Pies I took a step back to revisit the Chocolate Whoopie Pies. I love the strawberry but they tend be very moist and don't store as well. Our good friend who moved to Telluride with us was also headed back to Maine for the summer so these were made for his going away dinner.
From think outside the breadbox


Chocolate Whoopie Pies (1/2 batch, 10 small pies)
1.25 cups Gluten Free Flour, Artisan Blend
.5 teaspoon of each- Xantham gum, Salt and Baking SODA
3 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder
Combine and set aside

In a separate bowl mix .25 cup of butter (Nature's Balance for me!)

.5cup of sugar when it's blended add 1 large egg, .5 cup milk (soy for this batch) and .5 teaspoon vanilla
Then combine with dry and chill while the oven preheats to 375. Spoon into small piles (about a tablesoon and a half) and bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. You may want to check after 10 minutes as I'm working at 9,000 feet above sea level and it may increase my baking time.

The chocolate pies needed less flour as there was less mosture. I did try a batch with more flour but the density was better on the batch with less. Although I can now make frosting I did use a can to save time.

No comments: